If you are an experienced metal hunter who is looking for an advanced metal detector for hunting in a variety of environments, especially salt water, the Excalibur II from Minelab can be a great choice. While it carries an expensive price tag, the features that are loaded into this Minelab Excalibur II are difficult to find in other detectors.
So, no matter, if you are planning to buy a new detector and are confused with the available options or have made up your mind about this metal detector already, this Minelab Excalibur II review, is sure to help every professional metal hunter. Everything good as well as bad about this metal detector will be discussed in detail in this review to allow you to make a smart buying decision.
- BBS Technology – The detector uses an innovative BBS (Broad Band Spectrum) technology which allows it to receive and transmit multiple frequencies (Between 1.5 kHz and 25.5 kHz) at a time. As compared to a metal detector that works on a single frequency, this Minelab multi-frequency metal detector can provide a lot more information about the ground and target. Apart from providing more information, with the help of this technology, this Excalibur 2 Metal Detector doesn’t require you to adjust ground balance and can detect targets at deeper depths.
- Two Modes – The detector can be used in two different modes- discrimination and pinpoint. The discrimination mode is nothing different from what you find in other detectors where the detector will discriminate between different types of targets while ignoring junk metals. However, as compared to any standard metal detector, the discrimination offered by Excalibur II is much more powerful and accurate.
An increasing number of metal detectors now come with the pinpoint mode. This mode eliminates the need for using a separate pinpointer and allows you to know the exact location of the target once the detector has detected it. This mode makes it easier for you to dig for the target.
- Five Adjustable Knobs – Excalibur II Metal Detector features five different adjustable knobs- Discrimination, Sensitivity, Volume, Threshold, and Mode. Rather than the confusing LCD displays which a lot of metal detectors now come with, the knobs are easier to use and do an excellent job of improving the performance of this detector. No matter if you are hunting in highly mineralized soil or salt water, you can easily adjust the knobs to get the best targets in every environment.
- No Interference from Salt Water – The metal detector is waterproof up to 200 feet and is exclusively designed to be used in salt water. The majority of the waterproof metal detectors available in the market do not function accurately, when used in salt water. However, with this Excalibur II, there will be no interference due to salt water to allow you to search for targets under salt water too. Be it diving or wading, this metal detector will be your perfect companion. But make sure that you wash the detector with fresh water every time you use it in salt water to prevent corrosion.
- 10” Search Coil – The 10” search coil of Excalibur II is very different from standard 10” coils. It has a slim design for improved balance and reduced weight. This helps in reducing the overall weight of the detector while enjoying enhanced monitoring abilities.
- Variable Discrimination – You can easily adjust the discrimination to search for targets in a variety of environments. Be it searching for highly mineralized soil or an area that is filled with junk, the detector will ignore all the worthless targets to only provide you with worthy results.
- Hi-Vis Bodywork – The body of Minelab Excalibur Metal Detector has multiple fluorescent colors to ensure that the detector is clearly visible in low lighting conditions as well. As a result, you can use it even late in the evenings and underwater.
- Rechargeable NiMH Batteries – The detector features fully sealed, rechargeable NiMH battery pack which allows you to use the detector for up to 12 hours when fully charged. This will allow you to continue searching for targets for long hours without worrying about the battery running out in between the adventure. Moreover, it also comes with extra rechargeable batteries which you can carry with you while metal hunting.
- Compact and Lightweight Design – While the detector is loaded with some advanced features, it is highly compact and only measures 34″ x 13″ x 5.5″ and weighs 5.3 pounds. As a result, you can easily use it for hours at a time without feeling any fatigue.
- Multiple Accessories – When you purchase the Excalibur II Special Bundle from Amazon, apart from the metal detector, you get Koss headphones, extra rechargeable batteries, and a car charger. All these accessories further add up to the ease of using this Excalibur II metal detector.
- Manufacturer- Minelab
- Model Name- Excalibur II
- Frequency- Variable frequency between 1.5 kHz and 25.5 kHz
- Search Coil- 10” slimline search coil
- Dimension- 34” x 13” x 5.5”
- Weight- 5.3 pounds
- Warranty- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
- BBS technology provides the detector with enhanced detecting abilities
- 10” slimline coil for better performance
- Tone Target ID
- Adjustable sensitivity, threshold, and volume
- Waterproof up to 200m
- Can be used in saltwater without any interference
- Pinpointing mode to know the exact location of the target
- Excellent for diving and wading
- Fully sealed NiMH battery pack
- Rechargeable batteries
- Additional battery pack, waterproof headphones and car charger included
- High-visibility fluorescent bodywork
- Detects targets at deeper depths
- One-year warranty
- Some of the users have mentioned Minelab Excalibur 2 problems related to the threshold tone. However, most of these problems usually arise to due to improper sensitivity settings or low battery
- Corrosion can occur if the detector is not washed with fresh water after using it in saltwater
If you are seriously looking for an advanced metal detector that can help you search for excellent targets on beaches or in salt water, Excalibur II from Minelab can be a great choice. The Excalibur range of metal detectors has been around for a very long time and has proven their worth time and again. While there is no denying the fact that it is expensive, it is a complete value-for-money product if you like hunting for targets on the beach.
While this metal detector is highly recommended for experienced metal detectors, it might not be the best choice for beginners. This is because the majority of the features of this detector are focused on individuals who already know about the basic of metal detecting. Beginners can look for some amazing metal detectors here. And if you are looking for other underwater metal detectors, go through the other pages of our website to find some great options.
While we tried to include every important information in this Minelab Excalibur ii reviews, you can send your queries to us with the help of the comments section available to you. Until the time we meet again, Happy Hunting!